Tuesday, February 12, 2013

JUST ANOTHER MUSIC MONDAY: BEST FRIEND (NEW TUNE!)

Due to technical difficulties, let's just call this Just another Music Tuesday... 

I was working on a lovey dovey cover (so many great suggestions btw, hard to choose) in honor of Valentine's day, and then got distracted with this little chord progression. I started picking the strings, I'm not the worlds best finger picker, but the magic of music took control of my fumbly 'ol fingertips and started to play them with ease, I like when this happens. The chords caused my eyes to close, my heart to ache. Then a hum in my vocalizer started humming... I followed the hum, and it led me down a path to these words:

it's not too late
I could be your best friend
hold my breath and swim into the deep end
of this mess of love that we've been drownin' in
ooohh

I knew it was the last chorus, so I worked backwards. Quickly the words spilt on the paper, I let them fall freely as they strung themselves together into a story. I let them sing the redemption song that they wanted to be. Eighty percent of it was written in fifteen minutes, the other twenty percent took about six hours, when I realized that this song was not the light hearted little ditty I had hoped to write. It wore me out. So, I just let it be what it is, a real life love song. There's a beginning, a conflict, a resolve and a hope that is never ending. That is the nature of a relationship that endures. I don't know if I would put the "done" stamp on it, I think it needs some time to marinate, might need to rearrange a few things, the bridge might need more, maybe it doesn't, I don't know. The first performance is always an experiment, a bit timid... and it makes me nervous, so here it is...


PS-Talking about songs is always weird. I just write them, sing them, and hope they are heard the way the person needs to hear it... or feel it, really.

PSS-  AND I am over on Oh Joy! today as part of her "make someone happy" series... I helped her write little love song for her man Bob, kinda cute and fun! Watch it here

Oh! One last thing... what did you think of the Grammy's? I thought it was pretty classy, and I was rather impressed by many of the performances. Justin Timberlake... what can I say, I'm glad he's back. Rhianna was the surprise of the night for me, no over the top production needed with large doses of flesh, she stood there in a beautiful gown and simply delivered a pure, heart felt vocal. And then there's Bruno Mars, pow! So much energy! He is just slaying it out there and couldn't have performed better, but wait, then Sting joined him on stage with his bass, and he did his Sting thing, which is always dripping with awesome. I loved Mumford & Sons, and am glad to see the Lumineers taking over the world. I will also say how pleased I was that Gotye and Kimbra won song of the year, that song was a special one, and the fact that radio embraced it gives me hope and happiness. Kelly Clarkson was just mind blowing. Levon tribute was spectacular and reminded me of Michael Johns on tour, he literally watched the Last waltz maybe forty something times. Props to the Idol ladies, Kelly and Carrie for representing. Isn't it interesting that the most enduring and successful artists to come out of Idol are both female, and yet a girl hasn't won in six years? (Multiple factors here... and, No offense guys, y'all are great, just an observation :-) There are others I am forgetting, but overall, it was a good night. Made me want to sing and play and write much better than I do.

19 comments:

  1. Love. Love. LOVE.
    As always.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing. Your voice and your music takes me to a serene place in my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful and heartfelt. That's why I love you!!-Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooove that song, brooke.
    can't stop listening. so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I can't wait to download it on iTunes. You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Best Friend" is AMAZING SONG!!!!!!!!!!!


    Kelly Clarkson is PERFECT in Grammy #Agree

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow i teared up listening to the new song, it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it all, Brooke! The blog, the new song, the setting and your smile! :) Also, what a cute little song you helped your friend write for her husband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this song made me all teary! I felt every single last word! possibly one of my all time favorites from you--this music monday thing is going to be a bright spot in my week! Your music matters! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great song! I love a real life love story! Also, thanks for sharing a little of your process, it is interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your new song! Don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI, I think that people know a great singer from a not so great singer, either male or female. But trying to compare a great singer to a great singer does not make any sense and trying to compare a great male singer to a great female singer make even less sense. But for 12 years AI has made a show from it. To improve the show there s/b one male winner and one female winner. But it still isn't fair. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. This song is BEAUTIFUL! Please put it on the next album! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY LANTA. i just fell deep in love. love love love this song, Brooke. you are a genius. amen.

    ReplyDelete