Monday, February 25, 2013

JUST ANOTHER MUSIC MONDAY: HERE NOW


About four years ago I was writing songs, all day, every day for several days...

Then one day... BAM. I hit a wall. I had nothing left. 

Writers block they call it. I had it, and it bummed me out hard. What if I was never going to be able to write another song again? What did this mean? Was my life void of inspiration, passion and experience? Months went by, I read the artist way (life changing, you should read it), I wrote morning pages, wrote a gratitude journal took myself on artist dates to the Getty, got a sketch pad and sketched a bunch of hands and eyeballs, flowers in vases and mickey mouse, spent more time serving at church, I walked several laps around the lake at balboa park and listened to a lot of Joni Mitchell... I even attempted, quiet time... that was weird. I wondered if maybe I was trying too hard, and then some days I wondered if I was trying hard enough. 

I'd sit down behind the piano, hours would pass, a blank open page of my notebook staring me down... but there was nothing. So I pulled out the guitar, and spent a lot of time just, holding it... but there was nothing. I spent a lot of time obsessing over the fear that I was never going to be able to write again.  I went about life on autopilot, doing a lot of stuff, but in my mind became a hostage to my dramatic, fear based thoughts. I reminisced of the days when I had something to say, something to play... and started questioning my choices. 

I had to keep reading this... 

Panic. Despair. I quit...
Kinda, but not really. Quitting never lasts long for me. I did pray, for songs, or for acceptance that there would be no more songs, maybe it just wasn't what I was supposed to do anymore.

Fast forward a while, I can't recall how long. I played a lot of gigs, sang the songs I had. I was sitting in front of the mirror blow drying my hair with a round brush when it came... 

fast forward then rewind
look ahead and look behind...

In a rush of excitement, I dropped the hair dryer and the brush like a hot potato and I ran to my keyboard... the intro was instant, I found the chords to support the melody that the words delivered to me. But then there was more...

present moment never lingers
time will slip right through your fingers
when... you're not livin' 
and everything, you've been missin'
you can't take back again...

And that was it. That was all I could get. Gah. For the next several weeks I would spend a few hours a day, staring at that verse, trying to figure out where it wanted to go next...

Months passed by, and I had gotten a call from a friend of mine in Nashville, Chris Oglesby, he connects writers, and was responsible for setting up some of my most successful co-writes. He wondered if I wanted to write with this guy "Busbee", Mike Busbee, who lived in Laurel Canyon. I figured maybe it'd be a good idea to get back to co-writing, so I said yes. That day I brought this song I had been working on... I played it for Busbee. I moved over, He sat at the piano and started singing... 

"How long, How long, till we've figured out, that we're here now"
"How long, How long, till we turn around and it's all gone, will we wish that we were still here now"

It was perfect. We finished the song in a little over an hour. That afternoon he created and we recorded potentially one of the greatest demos I've ever made, just a piano, vocal and strings. It just felt, true.

I popped the disc of the demo into my cd player and listened to it on repeat during the long drive home through the canyon. I was raw with emotion. I realized the song was schooling me...

I was waiting. We all are waiting. Waiting for that day when we'll finally be happy...
when we write a song.
when we get our braces off
when we graduate.
when we get married.
when we pay off the credit card.
when we get pregnant.
when we get some sleep
when we lose ten pounds
when we get a record deal
when we move out of the crappy apartment
when we remodel the kitchen
when we get our pay check and we can go buy more stuff
when we get a tan
when we quit workin' for the man...
when we get that apology

Really? I don't know, maybe we will be happier... for a minute, and then on to the next thing.

Or we get stuck in the past, we spend our precious minutes on regrets, wishing we had or hadn't, or we coulda shoulda, fantasizing we could rewrite history, or reminiscing a time we thought it had it all.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting it is wrong to learn from our past, or to dream, or strive for a better future. It is actually really important, goals are great, change is necessary. 

But, what about now, what about this moment that we are in?! If we are stuck in yesterday or living for tomorrow, we totally miss out on today. And today is the best day ever, because it's what we got. And when it's gone, it's gone

Yep, Life is hard, it has it's disappointments and super crappy let downs, and we tell ourselves "the best is yet to come", but until then, maybe we can still be happy now.

And when I say "we", I kinda mean "me". Feel free to join me, let's be here now.

I've been saving this song... maybe the next record :)


26 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful song! Definitely needs to be on a record!!! You're so talented Brooke and I don't think you'll ever loose it. Writers block or not you got it! LOVE MUSIC MONDAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brooke. that article and song...
    I'm inspired and moved.
    THANK YOU!
    I agree that we have to hold onto NOW.
    The question I have is....HOW?
    Love, Ronit (pronouced:Row-neet, ur loving fan from Minneapolis)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got goosebumps. That was amazing. And I loved the little baby noises in the background :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed the song! thank You. In the words of The Grass Roots "Let's Live for Today"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listened to this a hundred times. Just love everything about it. When you get a song, it's always a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please, oh PLEASE release this as a single! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsers--super beautiful! You must record and get this one out there! I look forward to Music Mondays with you, and love hearing Londy in the background (and seeing your videos/pics of her posted). Thank you, as always, for sharing, Brooke:)Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great song!

    herestohappinesses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, this is beautiful Brooke. You have always been one of my favorite singers. Glad Idol shared your talent with the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a thought provoking song Brooke. Thank you for singing/sharing it this week. And, yes, please put this on your next album - it's lovely.
    xo,
    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the open chord at the end. This is definitely a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are pure brilliance. i love you. amen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I loved hearing this song. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monday is quickly becoming my favorite day of the week! (or tuesday, or wednesday, whatever, lol) Whenever I watch these new videos I feel inspired, and blessed to have you as a friend. xoxo! rock it girl! You were born to do this. And your writing, mush--its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this. My new motivation anthem. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Brooke! So glad to have stumbled upon your blog! Sure cute! Please take minute I would love to have you as a regular over at my blog! Take care!
    I am a style (of sorts) and life as a mamma blogger!
    Steph
    www.lattandlegos.com
    http://www.facebook.com/LatteAndLegos?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does anyone know if this is Brooke's natural hair color? I'm thinking of going blonde and she has the bets shade... but if that's all natural, maybe I'd never get anywhere close to that from a salon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Brooke! I just came across your blog and absolutely LOVE your music, it inspires me to sit at the piano again and write. I just started up my own blog to share my music and would love any tips on how to get started! You can check out my blog www.rachaelburgess.blogspot.com - I would LOVE to have you do a guest post if you do those:)

    Thanks!
    rach

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this song. Thanks for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you. perfect timing for my new anthem. you rock (& busbee, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your amazing and bring me to tears but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, Dear sir

    It allows me to know about web page on brookiebabble.blogspot.com this. It is a enjoyment web page for of all us.I think that it web page is one of the primary needs of person & is type for important any growth.I always like this web page. You have been proven significance subject in your material. It will motivate me always. This is very awesome post! I will save this weblog as I have Live music photography is all about catching when, encapsulating the energy, enjoyment, elegance or pain of the songs without being able to listen to a single observe. This is much easier said than done, as limitations of space and light can really restrict what a photographer is able to accomplish, but there are ways in which you can improve your possibilities of getting those show interpreting photos. These days, you will get some tips for capturing live songs and more than 60 live songs pictures to help motivate you.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Brooke, I have non profit anti bullying program that we tour around with to help students feel safer at school. I would love for you to be a part of it. Please contact me at empowerthekids@gmail.com. Thanks.

    John

    ReplyDelete