Saturday, June 26, 2010

SATURDAY SIX: SIXTIES...


Get a playlist! Standalone player
1.) Time of the Season - I still get stoked when they play this on the radio... the epitome of cool. Oh and the Zombies record cover is super groovy

2.) Gimme Shelter- This intro is possibly one of my favorites of all time... it takes me away, I just like listening to the intro over and over... easily the best part of the song in my opinion. Intros are important.

3.) Let's Hang On- the first CD I ever bought with my own money was Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons, I was 13. I got out the phone book and called every record store in town looking for it. I finally found it at Tower Records, they had one copy. My mom drove me to the store and it was mine.

4.) This Guys in Love with You- The first time that I won a radio contest, first caller to to guess Herb Albert & the Tiajuana Brass Bands first number one hit won a dinner for 2 to Herb's restaurant... of course I knew the answer, I was obsessed with this song... c'mon Burt Bacharach wrote it. Epic tune.

5.) These Eyes- This song is pretty much on all my mix cd's, I have always wanted to do a cover of it. I wish I could explain what effect it has on me... but I can't. Just know that I love it very much.

6.) Be My Baby- Her voice rules, so much character, so much soul. The production is signature Spector, his best. It is also Brian Wilsons favorite song. I heard him say on the radio one time that he wrote "Don't worry baby" kind of as a response to this song... greatness inspires greatness.

5 comments:

  1. All great selections Brooke. Amazing how songs give us association in our life. Here is my list: "She's Not There"- The Zombies; "Time Is on My Side"- The Rolling Stones; "Sherry"- Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons; "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head"- Burt Bacharach & B.J. Thomas; "Laughing" - The Guess Who; "Walking in the Rain"- Ronettes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sixties music is spectacular! I wish we could travel back to the good ol' days of jukeboxes and Bandstand. This is a really great selection that you've presented here. I think you should go for that "These Eyes" cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is by far one of my favorite blog posts I've ever read. Being able to just lay back and listen to some awesome music that I haven't heard in a while or at all and then read your eloquent explanations as to why you love it.

    Well done, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this, love this, love this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. feelin groovy man...
    :) great choices!

    ReplyDelete