Monday, December 27, 2010

BLANKET...

I'll be the first to admit that there is not much more that I need, "I've got gadgets and gizmos a plenty, I've got whoz-its and whats-its galore... you want thing-a-mabobs? i've got twenty" and yet sometimes I still find myself wanting more. One more pair of skinny jeans, Another pair of shoes, the miracle eye cream, the latest and greatest apple product, classy luggage, another throw pillow and it goes on and on... we are living in a material world, and... I sometimes fear I am becoming a material girl... and that's not the kind of girl I want to be, never fulfilled, always wanting. I've acquired a taste for nice things, but that is all they are... things. But if I am honest with myself, I have all the material possessions that I could ever need, or want...

Dave and I came to this realization as we were discussing what we were going to get each other for Christmas. We talked about our goals for the future, which includes living within our means, saving, and giving what we can... achieving these goals requires sacrifice, discipline and a re-evaluation of needs and wants. So, we both agreed to keep it simple, nothing extravagant... but thoughtful. The days leading up to Christmas soon became the stressful search for the perfect presents, as I wandered from store to store, buying just one more gift for this person, but then that means that you then should buy one more for so and so. Of course on Christmas Eve I found myself in the last hour standing in line paying for a light as a feather laptop for my better half. My stomach dropped as I swiped my credit card. So much for keeping things minimal and not going overboard...

Christmas morning came and we all went around the room opening our gifts, feeling guilty by the mound of gifts that we had surrounding us. We began opening gifts, Dave unwrapped the first few, practical, a t-shirt from the legendary diving girl motel, then he ripped off the paper and realized what the next one was, he was stunned. He deserved it, I wanted him to have it. But we both knew... it was too much. I went on to open my presents, a watch to replace one I sadly lost on my radio tour, a pair of running shoes, a robe. And then I unwrapped a blanket, the softest, blue warm and cozy blanket. I sat on the floor snuggled up in my favorite gift, watching the Wonder Years re-runs with Dave and the fam. It is the little things...

of course I will still want, but Less is more, stuff is stuff. Dave took back the computer... and kept the diving girl motel t-shirt.

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Brooke! Everything you say about being material is true. Especially with people you love. When is enough, enough to want to show your love? My wife and I say every Christmas that we will not spend a lot of money on each other. But I bought her another expensive ring(she doesn’t need)and she bought me an expensive leather vest(I don’t need). But as long as you can pay the bills, it is good for the economy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The selflessness and level-headedness (if that's a word) that you and Dave possess and put into action are very impressive. It's a lesson well worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blanket looks so warm and cozy, I can see this would be a favorite of mine if I were you.

    http://homemom3.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post Brooke. We all could use a reality check every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a cover so similar to that! It was unexpected and honestly, one of the best gifts I received!

    ReplyDelete